- act as sth I can't make it to the meeting Bob, so would mind acting as chairman today?
- act as sth The kidneys act as filters to keep the blood clean.
- act for sb If you don't have a lawyer, the state will appoint one to act for you.
- act for sb In a democracy, the people elect representatives to act for them in parliament.
- act on sth I really should act on my doctor's advice and try to eat less and exercise more.
- act on sth He acted on the instructions of his lawyer and refused to answer any questions.
act on: advice, suggestions, instructions, information, orders
- act up My printer is acting up, so I'll have to get it fixed.
- act up I'll have to give the tennis a miss this week. My knee is acting up again.
act up: computer, printer, phone, air conditioner, knee, wrist, ankle, stomach
- act out sth Jim often gets into trouble because he acts out his emotions without thinking about the consequences.
- act sth out We can all have violent thoughts and aggressive feelings sometimes, but society doesn't usually allow us to act them out